Click for Site Directory


1069212 LAC GEORGE (Judd) BIRCHALL  

Judd was born on 8 February 1906 and brought up in the Kirkdale area of Liverpool. He was part of a large family 
and lived in Woodhouse Street then Thomaston Street, not far from the world famous Scotland Road. He probably 
attended Major Lester School and would have started his working life aged 14.
The family home in Thomaston Street was a big old house with a kitchen in the cellar where the family spent most of their time.
If someone called at the front door, they could be seen from the kitchen.  To save the family going up to open the door, they 
had a handle with a rope attached to it,  so when they wanted to let the person in, they just turned the handle and the front door
would open.
Judd went to work as a Flour Packer at Bibbys when he left school.  He wasnt very happy working there and in 1925,
aged just 19, he decided to leave and travel to Canada with his elder brother Edward and Edwards family.  They landed
 at Quebec but didnt stay there.  The whole group walked across the bridge into America seeking work.  Judd worked
 in a car factory in Detroit but didnt really like the Americans.  He found them to be quite loud with too much to say.
Nevertheless, Judd stayed in America for 3 years and then travelled home to see his family.  He was home for just 9 
months before setting sail again to Canada in 1929.  He worked as an auto worker for another 3 years and finally 
returned back to England in 1932 aged 26. On his return from America, Judd lived with his brother Arthur and sister 
May in a small house in Golden Grove, Liverpool.  He always wanted to have his own business, and was able to buy a sweets
 and tobacconists shop on Walton Breck Road, close to Anfield football ground.  Judd worked hard to build the business
up even though there was a lot of competition on the road.  Family members would regularly call in for a newspaper and 
sweets for their children.
By 1939 World War II was underway and Judd joined up on 13 September 1940. His religion was Church of England 
and he was described as 5 feet 8 inches tall with a 35 inch chest and brown hair with hazel eyes and a fresh complexion. 
His next of kin was his brother Arthur Birchall and in the event of any casualty occurrence his step-sister Miss M.E. Duffey

 was to be informed.

Balloon Crew posing for a photograph.(the sergeant looks formidable but see end of page for an update on him!). George is 2nd from left front row.
He began his war at No.3 Receiving Centre, Padgate, and from there was sent to No.17 Balloon Centre on 20 September 1940. 
After his initial training he was to be posted on 16 December 1940 to 921 Squadron, Fazakerley, Liverpool, flying around 48
 balloons under control of No.8 Balloon Centre. He was ranked AC2 (Aircraftman 2nd Class. His character was ranked as 
Very Good at the end of 1941 at the annual appraisal. His trade on 28 December 1940 was Balloon Rigger, Fabric Worker, 
Balloon Operator. His ability was classed as U/T (under training). He was then sent to No.8 Balloon Centre on the 6th April 1941
 and then back to 921 Squadron on the 22 August 1941. At the end of 1941 he was ranked AC1 (Aircraftman 1st Class, awarded
 1 May 1941), his character was ranked Very Good and his trade was Balloon Fabric Worker, Balloon Operator, his ability was
 ranked still at u/t (under training). He was next posted to 905 Squadron on 24 June 1942 and to the combined 904/5 Squadron 
on 1 August 1942, defending Clapham and Kensington with 45 balloons each.
 Balloon crew off duty: George with 3 unknown servicemen
At the end of 1942 he was ranked AC1 (Aircraftman 1st Class), his character was ranked Very Good and his trade was Balloon
 Fabric Worker, Balloon Operator, his ability was ranked still at satisfactory.
Balloon Crew wearing leather jerkins. George with unknown friends
He was then posted to No.12 Balloon Centre on 15 April 1943 No.12 Balloon Centre, Fareham, Hampshire. and then on to No1 
Balloon Training Unit (A) on 22 July 1943. He was then sent back to No.12 Balloon Centre  and then back to No.1 Balloon 
Training Unit at Cardington on the 9 August 1943.

Balloon  crew member (unknown) Seems to like the casual look!
 He was then posted to 950 Squadron A Flight flying 32 balloons at  Lyness, Orkney on 7 October 1943 and then to No1 
Balloon Training Unit on 8 October 1943 and then back to 950 Squadron. His trade on 25 February 1943 was Balloon 
Rigger/ Fabric Worker. At the end of 1943 he was ranked LAC (Leading Aircraftman awarded 28 September 1943 as he
 had achieved 85% in his re-mustering examination ), his character was ranked Very Good and his trade was Hydrogen supply, 
his ability was ranked still at satisfactory.
George with friends pose for a group photograph

 He stayed there until 14 July 1944 at which time D-day had come and gone and he was sent to 950 Squadron as a care and
 maintenance party (C. & M. Party.). He was then sent to Cardington on 17 October 1944 and joined 159 Wing Rear Party on 
12 November 1944. At the end of 1944 he was ranked LAC (Leading Aircraftman), his character was ranked Very Good and 
his trade was Hydrogen supply, his ability was ranked still at satisfactory.  159 Balloon Wing was sent abroad to give air 
defence to the allied troops through France and Belgium.

 On 18 June 1945 the war in Europe was over and he was posted to Balloon Training Depot at Cardington. On the 6 July 1945
 he was transferred to the Balloon Development Unit at Cardington. Presumably he was offered the chance to continue to work
 in balloon development, testing and trials as he was quite an experienced hand by this stage. He obviously wanted to leave the 
forces and he was then sent to 94 Maintenance Unit on 8 August 1945, which appears to have had a number of diverse locations
 and from there to 101 Personnel Dispersal Unit at Kirkham for release into civilian life. 
He was released on 7 October 1945 and probably went on leave. On 9 December 1945 he was discharged to Grade "G" Reserve, 
after 5 years of service and having attained the age of 45 years. During his career he only forfeited one day due to unauthorised 
absence between 12.00 hours on 10 January 1943 until 20.00 hours that day. Such absences were often due to travel logistics
 failing and missing train connections. The usual punishment was to forfeit a days pay for such misdemeanors.
He was awarded the British Defence and War Medal and as he served in an operational area between 6 June 1944 and 8 May 1945, 
he was also awarded the France and Germany Star.
In June 1945 by special licence Judd married Jessie Cooper at Christ Church Bootle and their wedding reception was held in 
the function room at Coopers Café, Church Street, Liverpool.  
 George and Jessie on their wedding day
They started married life living in the flat above their shop. 
Judd and Jessie both worked in the shop at different times as did Judd’s sister May and Jessie’s sister Gladys.

 In 1949 their first daughter Margaret was born, Michael came along 3 years later and then Diane in 1956.  Margaret
 remembers her dad bringing sweets and comics home for her from the shop and when she got a bit older she 
occasionally went to the wholesalers with him to order stationary.
Balloon days over George and Jessie probably snapped by a street photographer of the day
When Margaret was four they moved to a family home at Walton Hall Avenue, very close to where Judd had lived with his brother
 and sisters before the war.  
Judd’s health had not been good for some time, he had chronic bronchitis and when the children were quite young he contracted 
Tuberculosis and was admitted to the pavillion at Walton Hospital. He did recover from this and continued to run the shop.
The family didn’t have a car, not many families did at that time, which meant Judd taking the bus to the shop every day. The
 hours he worked were very long, as they sold newspapers which meant early mornings and late evenings.  This began to take 
its toll on Judd and his health deteriorated. Returning from the shop in the evening, when he got off the bus, he would have to
 stop several times to get his breath before he arrived home.

 Sadly, in1963, after being ill at home and nursed by Jessie, he was again admitted to Walton Hospital.  His condition deteriorated
and after a short time Judd passed away aged just 56 years leaving a widow and three young children.
If anyone can identify anyone in these pictures or can add to the story please email me:
UPDATE: August 2016
The formidable sergeant turns out to be:  Henry (Harry) Lewis Burrows


 In the Great War he joined RNVR (Service Number Y16870) Then the RNAS 10 Nov 1916 (Service Number F23573). as Aircraftman 2nd Class. Promoted to Aircraftman Ist Class 30 April 1917.

Then Air Mechanic 2nd Class  from 12 July 1917. Served as an Airship Mechanic at Lenabo Airship Station  (RNAS Longside)  in Aberdeenshire.

 When RNAS and RFC merged to form the RAF He transferred (Still at Longside (Now RAF Station) with RAF Service Number 223573 on 1 April 1918 as Air Mechanic 3rd Class then to Air Mechanic 2nd Class on 2 April 1918.

 Posted  from Aberdeen to  the Crystal Palace Discharge Centre 17  Oct 1919 and to RAF Res 19 Nov 1919. Fully discharged on 30 April 1920.

 Awarded British War Medal for RNAS service in WW1 (service No. No F 23573)

When the Second World War was about to break out he was not slow to get back into action.

 Re-joined RAF Reserves as Hydrogen Worker AC2 on 4 May 1939. Awarded 1st Good Conduct award. Kept same Service No. as in the Great War.

Promoted to Aircraftman Ist Class on 5 May 1939.

Called up 26 Aug 1939 to Cardington for kitting etc. Posted to No 1 Balloon Training Unit Cardington 28 Aug 1939

To 18 Balloon Centre 21 March 1940

To 948 Sqn (A) 1 Jun 1940

To 18 Balloon Centre 5 Jun 1940

Promoted to Leading Aircraftman 1 Feb 1941

To No 1 Balloon Training Unit 13 Nov 1941

To 950 Sqn 10 Nov 1942

To 986 Sqn Cardington 3 Jul 1943

No 1 Balloon Training Unit  6 Sep 1943

To 950 Sqn (A) 7 Oct 1943

Promoted to Temp Sgt  2 Nov 1943 (Notice he did not hold Cpl Rank)

Awarded 2nd Good conduct award 7 Apr 1944

To 950 Sqn Care & Maintenance Party 14 Jul 1944

To Cardington 17 Oct 1944

Awarded War Service pay increment 5 yrs. 3 Sept 1944

To 159 Balloon Wing Rear Party 14 Nov 1944

Promoted to Sergeant.

To 159 Balloon Wing 17 Jan 1945.

To 2nd TAF PHU 25 Jun 1945  Renamed British Air Forces of Occupation (BAFO) Holding Unit

To No 100 Personnel Dispersal Centre (RAF Uxbridge) 27 Jun 1945 for Release

Effective date of release Class A 29 Aug 1945.

 He went on to run his own Wool Shop on Welling High Street in Kent with his wife Lily for many years.

 Granddad died in Nov 1984.

 Harry's daughter joined the PMRAFNS, leaving on marriage to Flight Officer Mover. Who in turn served for 34 yrs. Following on Harry's grandsons  also joined the RAF, one doing 22 Years and one 38 Years.)

 Harry's son did his National Service in the RAF and has always said he regrets not signing on full time.